Saturday, January 16, 2010

January 1, 2010

For many years I have heard about the crazy people who get up New Year's Day and go running into the freezing ocean. I have never gone before until this year. Our friends Shaw and Heidi were going with her family and Jared decided he wanted to do it too. I had a head cold and could not participate (fine by me). There were hundreds of people there. I think most of them were spectators not participants. They were lined up all along the pier and all over the beach.


Jared wore his warmest pants, slippers, and bathrobe. It took him a long time to remove his clothing. He started with one sock at a time.

I enjoyed watching with my coffee.


Once it started, it was over. You had to go all the way in, getting your head wet. I have never seen people go in to the water, dunk, and come out so fast. I have also never heard so many people screaming at one time. As soon as they said go, each person screamed as they hit the water. It lasted about 5 minutes. All the dogs on the beach were barking like crazy. Here is Shaw coming out of the water.

Shaw and Heidi trying to keep warm after going in the water. They love each other...

... so do they!
The End
(complete with certificate)




No comments:

Post a Comment